Whatever consenting adults do behind closed doors is their own business… right? While we often hear this refrain to support gay issues, we test the boundaries of its truth by discussing the uncomfortable topic of incest. We cover worldwide societal norms; the Bible; the Westermarck Effect; the theory of Genetic Sexual Attraction; step-dad, step-son, and step-brother incest porn; consanguineous relationships; and, of course, the TV show Private Practice.
Remember to submit audio or written entries to our theme song contest by April 1, and check out our Pacific Northwest tour dates at gayishpodcast.com/live.
In this episode: News- 5:43 || Main Topic (Incest)- 24:50 || Gayest & Straightest- 1:33:07
On this very special bonus Patreon segment, it’s a family affair! We have Ma Johnson join for a ridiculous Momsplaining, and Kyle surprises Mike with the text messages Mike’s brothers sent when Kyle asked them, if they were gay, would they be attracted to Mike? Get all the info on benefits, including bonus segments and video, at patreon.com/gayishpodcast.
If you want to do more reading on this week’s topic, here are some of the articles referenced in the show:
- “How Many Americans Are Married To Their Cousins?” article by Mona Chalabi (2015): https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-many-americans-are-married-to-their-cousins/
- “Cousin-Couples Talk About Keeping It in the Family” article by Sam Nichols (2018): https://www.vice.com/en/article/zmg3aj/cousin-couples-talk-about-keeping-it-in-the-family
- “Consanguineous marriages: Preconception consultation in primary health care settings” research study by Hanan Hamamy (2012): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3419292/
- “Sex Among Siblings: A Survey on Prevalence, Variety, and Effects” research study by David Finkelhor (1980): https://sci-hub.se/https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF01542244
- “Forbidden love” article by Johann Hari (2002): https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2002/jan/09/familyandrelationships.features103
- “‘Incest Porn’ Is On the Rise, and These Are the Reasons Why” article by Zeynep Yenisey (2018): https://www.maxim.com/maxim-man/why-is-incest-porn-so-popular-2018-3/
If you or someone you know is a victim of sexual violence, you can contact RAINN.org, the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network, for support at 800-656-4673, or visit their website for live chat.